Dreamkeepers in Libararies

Help Dreamkeepers grow! Share your promotional ideas, or collaborate with other readers.

Dreamkeepers in Libararies

Postby Oseirus on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:07 pm

So here's a thought. Nothing says "exposure" like having a physical copy of the books in your hands, right? So what if we all pitched in, bought a couple volumes, and donated them to local libaries? Most libraries, especially newer ones, have a magazine/comic/graphic novel section, usually in a pretty visible area. SOMEONE is bound to find the book, start flipping through it, say "hey, this is pretty cool".

Admittedly, it would be a pricey endeavor. Giving away $50 is never easy for anyone, especially in today's economy, but if you have the means to give even one copy, I believe it would be a huge step towards spreading the Dreamkeepers name.

This is sanctioned by David! It's also arguably more effective than simply recommending the title to the library, since (in my experience) title suggestions are almost always blown off with out so much as a passive consideration.

EDIT: Zagura brought up a good point. Double check with your library to make sure they'll actually accept a donation before purchasing the books so you aren't wasting your money.

EDIT 2: Due to low (read: absolutely zero) participation, I'm ending the incentive early. However, I still highly encourage people to donate.
Last edited by Oseirus on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oseirus

Re: Dreamkeepers in Libararies

Postby Suraru on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:15 pm

uhhh i "donate" the book to friends and dont show them vol 2 :D
Suraru

Postby Oseirus on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:24 pm

This is different than giving your friends a book though. This is giving someone totally random a chance to find the book, rather than just limiting it to people who hear about it from a friend or stumble across the site. Even a few sparks can lead to a wildfire.
Oseirus

Postby Zagura on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:28 pm

:| Actually... I think libraries have some sort of licensing issue. When my family lost a audio book, and we offered to buy a new one, they said that because the licensing with libraries is different, their copies cost more.

Not entirely sure if it applies to DK, or maybe its just cause it was digital media...

Better check anyways before we go dumping expensive hard copies into library systems.
Zagura

Postby Oseirus on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:00 pm

@ Zag: That's most likely because of the media, I've never heard of a library having licensing issues with books before.

You do bring up a good point though, and I was literally about to edit my original post when I saw yours. Make sure you check with your library to make sure they'll actually accept the books before buying, since not every library will actually take donations. No sense in spending $50 just to get turned down.
Oseirus

Postby Twilight on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:01 pm

Actually, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Depending on the library, donated copies are definitely a viable option. Plus, I'm sure they have ways to make it work.

Dreamkeepers DOES have a registry in the Library of Congress, which is about as officially published as you can get, so it shouldn't be too hard getting it in a particularly fancy library. There's probably just "a procedure"

I'd say, just ask.
Twilight

Postby ilvos01 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:37 am

Oseirus wrote:...rather than just limiting it to people who hear about it from a friend or stumble across the site...

Speaking of which, is DK on Stumbleupon?
ilvos01

Postby Kuurion on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:23 am

It is now, if it wasn't before.
Kuurion

Postby Reed R Gale on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Letting you guys know, I volunteer at a library and on Thursday, we are having a pizza party (which I earn service hours for :D) AND we are filling out a form, which includes suggestions that will be added to the library. You can guess where this is going :D

Viva la Dreamkeepers!
Reed R Gale

Postby JoRdAnMaSt3R on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:01 am

Reed R Gale wrote:Letting you guys know, I volunteer at a library and on Thursday, we are having a pizza party (which I earn service hours for :D) AND we are filling out a form, which includes suggestions that will be added to the library. You can guess where this is going :D

Viva la Dreamkeepers!

W00T W00T!!!

Now everyone's gonna know about DK and Dave's devious plans for world domination WILL BE FULFILLED!!!!!

Just thought I'd bring a little spam to the party, ahem, I'l show myself out.
JoRdAnMaSt3R

---------

Return to DK Volunteer Army