Dreamkeepers Comic Drama

Got something you'd like to show off? Show it! Want to promote a great artist or series you know of? Share it here! For anyone feeling bored, odds are there's something cool to see...

Dreamkeepers Comic Drama

Postby Darkspeeds on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi boys and girls, it's been more than a year since I've visited the DK forums!

And because I've been away some pretty cool things have happened, for one I've improved on my comic drama projects and just can't wait to finally dedicate a proper installment to one of my beloved indy graphic novel/webcomic series - Dreamkeepers.

Secondly (who wouldn't excited about this?) Dreamkeepers Volume Three will finally get a release in December, I seriously can't wait to continue Dave Lillie and Liz's amazing story in my own time (gotta find the right day to read it, perhaps when a storm comes? Ha ha.).

I've got a goal in mind and plan to complete at least the whole of Book One within the year of 2013. Perhaps with enough time, energy, effort and motivation I should be able to complete Book Two the following year.

I've already begun my talent search for voice actors (for the roles that I couldn't do!) and FOUND someone who could voice Paige!

That one element is probably the most important foundation, to me, in creating the drama for book one. I did a live audition with Samantha (aka LadyTenkage) on Skype this morning and she impressed me with her range and delivery of the voices I requested (I actually hired her to do a voice that will be used in a Sonic comic drama). It was just magic and I can't wait to get her lines in for the comic drama. In fact you wouldn't believe me if she was able to do that innocent/kid/sweet voice that Paige radiates for a personality when you hear her signaure range - the as portrayed in a character named Julie-su from the Sonic Archie comic series.

Regarding my voice acting I can definitely say that I've improved over the year, in fact I've just submitted recently a voice reel for another project that I'm currently working on:

From there you can get an idea of the range I could offer. Voice acting can be so much fun and rewarding when done right.

[continued...]
Last edited by Darkspeeds on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkspeeds

Re: Dreamkeepers Comic Drama

Postby Darkspeeds on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:40 pm

[continued from original post - it had too many links!]

Also to get an idea on the quality that I can execute to the fans for a comic drama here are the most recent projects I worked on with my team of voice actors for the Sonic Archie comic series:

Pretty much all the production - the incorporation of voice acting, the sound effects, the music, the editing, the pacing and movement of sequential art & art extras - are done by me as director of each project. I'm really proud that I have the time, energy and facilities to achieve for each finished project.

Regarding the music that I'll be using I've come across a composer from Germany called (and bloomin' hell do check out his dedicated DK fan albums if you hadn't done so yet!). I approached him with a request from a year ago on whether I could use his music for a future comic drama of the DK series. With much pleasure he gave me permission to use them for the project.

This track is probably my most favourite of his for the series of all time - it just draws me to come back to the world of Dreamkeepers because of what happened to... Her.

Originally I was going to use BGM from video games/movies that I know of (like I've done for all my previous comic dramas - because I'm very particular when it comes to getting the right score for the right moments in the narrative) but after listening to Mr. Reaverable's compositions I fell in love with them and just can't wait to utilise them.

In fact this will be the first time ever that I'll be working on a comic drama project that actually makes use of fan made music that's dedicated purely to the series - that to me is music to my ears and it's refreshing initiative to experience for the new year of 2013 (how can you go wrong with a win-win situation? Say goodbye to possible copyright infringement in music use and the legalities behind it!).

One last thing I would like to point out: I want to thank everyone who watched my old comic dramas of Dreamkeepers (which you can find in the links below) and gave me rather surprisingly a lot of good feedback on it - especially on the voice acting! I still feel that I ain't the perfect voice for Mace, I'm sure there are heaps of other candidates who could fill in his shoes but being a fan myself I couldn't resist giving the guy a unique and non-stereotype hero voice - I wanted to make him 'sound' original (and I guess the Aussie accent works for nice guys like Mace! Ha ha!). So thank you very much for the feedback - be expecting more action from me as the other characters too! Heh..heh..heh...! (Can't wait to voice as Igrath Winters again - I mean... How do you guys pronounce his name? Eye-grath or Ee-grath?? ALSO! This one: for Scinter - it's Skinter or Shinter? I should really ask Dave and Liz for this... Ha ha...!)

(Omg these are so outdated!! X_X;; lol!)

So yeah be expecting a scheduled released of JAN/FEB 2013 for Chapter One: Void's Return. It's gonna be great fun.
Darkspeeds

Postby Hakuzo NightFox on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:24 am

I left a comment on the youtube with your Voice reel video. Just a few things that may help ;).
Hakuzo NightFox

Postby Avolendi on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Kept track of things that came on dA. Looks good!

Looking forward to seeing more ^^
Avolendi

Postby Mutations2000 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:13 pm

FFFFfff-! I've been planning on doing this myself for what seems like forever. Unfortunately, my feeble attempt is a complete disaster. In a way, I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about it anymore, but on the other hand, I was kind of looking forward to doing it. :\ I'm sure you'll do a much better job than my friends and I ever could, though.

That aside, I've never done any sort of professional voice acting, but I'd be glad to help you in some way if you ever need it.
Mutations2000

Postby Dez on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 pm

sounds awesome dude! Good luck and if you ever need a hand or two many of us will be willing to help out :)
Dez

Postby AnimeFan18 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Mr. Reaverable is an epic soundtrack maker my favorite track

if dave ever needs tunes for dreamkeepers, Mr. Reaverable is da man 8-)
AnimeFan18

Postby Darkspeeds on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 am

Hakuzo NightFox wrote:I left a comment on the youtube with your Voice reel video. Just a few things that may help ;).

Thanks for the critique Hakuzo NightFox! Much appreciated! ;)

Avolendi wrote:Kept track of things that came on dA. Looks good!
Looking forward to seeing more ^^

I shall keep you guys posted on the progress as we continue onto a New Year in 2013!

Mutations2000 wrote:FFFFfff-! I've been planning on doing this myself for what seems like forever. Unfortunately, my feeble attempt is a complete disaster. In a way, I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about it anymore, but on the other hand, I was kind of looking forward to doing it. :\ I'm sure you'll do a much better job than my friends and I ever could, though.

That aside, I've never done any sort of professional voice acting, but I'd be glad to help you in some way if you ever need it.

Sorry to hear that your project didn't work out the way you wanted it - I'm sure you can come back to it when the time is right! And no probs, I'll keep in mind that if I need any help I'll be sure to ask here! ;)

Dez wrote:sounds awesome dude! Good luck and if you ever need a hand or two many of us will be willing to help out :)

No probs Dez! Thanks for the offer! I'll take note of it!

AnimeFan18 wrote:Mr. Reaverable is an epic soundtrack maker my favorite track

if dave ever needs tunes for dreamkeepers, Mr. Reaverable is da man 8-)

Oooo! Very nice! = ) Seriously it's a sign that a graphic novel concept is so good that fans with the talent to make the music does so!

Anyways I just came by to share my replies. I'll be back with an update on the project next time round - perhaps a sample can be utilised for a preview! 8-)
Darkspeeds

DREAMKEEPERS - Mace and Randy Remeet

Postby Darkspeeds on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:02 am

Holy snitchel! It's been 3 months since my last update! lol

Anyways guys and gals, I just recently posted a new comic drama separate from the one I've mentioned on this thread - it's based off the latest book: Intentions Entwined. I read that scene that featured Mace and Randy and I just couldn't resist showing what it's like when I read the book in my head.

Without further ado here's - DREAMKEEPERS - Mace and Randy Remeet

And here are my thoughts on the project:

Yup, I'm going back to basics.

I focused more attention to the audio drama and performance more than the visuals. I'm very pleased with the results (with the exception of Randy's voice - I could have made him sound more sly).

I'm surprised that many of the fans who have watched my older comic dramas of Dreamkeepers have actually enjoyed my interpretation of MACE. To me, I don't think his voice should be as deep as it should but hey I'm a big fan of the series and this was done as a fun exercise - I had lots of enjoyment making this.

Anyways this scene, to me, was a very clever piece of script/dialogue (almost everything in the book is cleverly written in my biased opinion! The creators are masters of their craft - credit to their work!). The reason why I think it's a clever six pages of writing and illustration is because it no only demonstrates a critical progression in the narrative (it links up to an important scene in the past that begged an answer between the two characters) but it also contrasts the two characters beautifully based on their previous encounters.

Mace managed to reveal Randy's true colours at an intimate level and acknowledges that the rest of his peers at the orphanage are not on his side anymore - there is no turning back - and that to me was a highlight after following the series since it's beginning.

Mace's maturity in this scene and Randy's sly/back stabbing qualities reveal with sublime clarity and context. This is evidence of character development in an indy published graphic novel epic - something that artists and writers are lacking these days in that field.

My favourite moment? It's gotta be Mace blasting Randy for his cowardice and gutless act on one of his closest friends in the orphanage - Paige. I had a lot of fun portraying as much raw emotion into Mace when he scolded Randy. I have a lot of admiration and respect for Mace because of his ability to keep cool in situations like these - what a an awesome character - love the guy to bits.

Hope you'll enjoy this almost 10 minute comic drama based of the critically acclaimed graphic novel saga - Dreamkeepers! Keep up the AWESOME stuff David and Liz!
Darkspeeds

Postby Darkspeeds on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:00 am

Oh bugger... I didn't realise that the new forums was formatted - blog style! X_X; lol

Ah well I'll post it all here again instead. 8-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay! Member #121! ^^

Anyways I'm going to continue from where I left off last time via classic Dreamkeepers forums: Dreamkeepers Comic Drama

So for those who don't know I'm Darkspeeds, as much of a dedicated fan you are of the incredible series that is Dreamkeepers. I've also been a proactive fan artist for more than a decade and am currently taking the initiative to study Graphic Design. I plan to work my way up to the School of Illustration at the Academy of Arts in San Francisco next year - hopefully I'll be able to work for a cartooning/an animation studios in California should I not be able to make it to Archie Comics working for their popular publication: Sonic the Hedgehog and SONIC UNIVERSE series.

On the sideline, when I'm really hyped up about a story, scenario or character in a graphic novel or comic series that I love, I have this tendency to make a comic drama out of it - now what this means is that it's like a radio drama only this time it follows through with visual content like you would find in storyboards of an animation or film! The best person to explain this concept behind a comic drama is a good friend of mine: Kovabomb. Check out his video!

I've been voice acting for years on an on and off basis (much like my fan artworks), ever since the very first Dreamkeepers comic drama: 'The Meeting'.

I know my craft pretty well, I'm confident delivering the lines, I know my limits and I damn well know how much fun it is to record lines off of your favourite characters in the book.

One thing that surprised me is the fact that a lot of the people who watched the DK comic dramas I've made in the past enjoyed my take on Mace. He's one tough and resilient fellow he is! I'm really pleased to know that people like how I voiced Mace (and I don't mind those who dislike it either) since he's one of my top favourite characters in the series. However in my opinion, I think he could sound perfect with a more young adult/kid tone, just a notch from the rather deep voice I've portrayed so far. lol

So who else have I voiced in the series? You may be asking why I haven't gotten other guys to do the boys/male voices? Well I'll tell you why:

i) Convenience - these projects ain't a walk in the park, it take a lot of effort producing and editing the audio; getting sfx's at the right moments, incorporating the right BGM and carefully adding in the voices into the mix (don't forget you gotta record the voices separately - or alternatively, hire someone to help you, and it can take ages before you get something back, depending on who you hire for the job).

ii) Cuz I love to voice act - what? Can't I take a little pride and joy in what I do? Unless you're getting paid to do it, of course you'll make the logical decision to hire pros to do it. ;)

I know there is currently another group who is working on a animated/motion comic project and goddamn, what a marvelous job on the animation department! Some may wonder why I didn't collaborate with the group. Well simple. I want to make my own stuff and I want to see their stuff too! I can't wait to see other fans having a great time making a project they can be proud of, and more importantly (to me that is) I want to know how other people have interpreted the voices of the characters! This to me is a most excited aspect in the project which is why I'm really look forward to seeing how it all unfolds! Good luck to you guys, I really mean it. = ) *thumbs up*

So who have I voiced so far? Here's a list:

• Mace
  • Whip
  • Grunn
  • Igrath Winters
  • Scinter
  • Bast
  • School Principle of Social Center
  • Randy
  • Gorse
  • (and at this very moment) Vox & Scythe

Woo! Quite a list! :D My favourite to voice? ALL OF THEM! *SHOT* lol
Well actually I do get a kick doing Igrath Winters, I'm just waiting for this guy to kick some SERIOUS *** man... The blind Champion Guard Captain... And Whip's a smidget of fun vocalising a completely foreign language! Can't wait to show some crazy in Vox and also some true deadliness in Ravat...

Alrighty, enough about me, let's get on with the show!

I'll post up the two that I've done very recently:

DREAMKEEPERS - Mace and Randy Remeet

DREAMKEEPERS - Igrath and Scinter: Code Guillotine

And currently I'm working on - DREAMKEEPERS - Bast in the 'Neon Knives' Street Clan

Here's something you don't hear that often!

Badass Bast says the F-Word! [DREAMKEEPERS]

Enjoy!
Darkspeeds

---------

Next

Return to LOOKIT THIS!