DK Chat Issue v2.0

Wanna chat about something that *gasp* isn't in one of the all-encompassing categories? Come on in!

DK Chat Issue v2.0

Postby Wolfcape on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Okay, I had this problem for close to 2 months and I apologize to all in the chat who miss me (if any of you remember me).

Okay, basic story : Final semester of college started, and...I can't join the chat as much as I did. I still vote daily, blah blah, stuff as normal etc.

Now to the problem.

Right, is anybody familiar with error #2031? Well because I have been getting it for at LEAST 6 weeks now. I haven't been able to get into the chat AT ALL.

Okay, so I try an IRC client. Its all a blur to me, I have never messed with this stuff (mIRC on windows, but I'm not on Windows anymore). I use the Mango IRC for Mac. I..have no clue how to use this. But I get some basics that I used to enter into Windows and in theory and according to tutorials, it should work. It did not.

Screenshots are posted for your [s]entertainment[/s] viewing in case you might wanna see.

Code: Select all
Error #2031 : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2012/36/1346706130-001.png
Details into Mango IRC : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2012/36/1346706168-002.png
Connection Error in Mango IRC : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2012/36/1346706148-003.png

Thanks for reading.

~Josh
~Wolfcape
Wolfcape

Re: DK Chat Issue v2.0

Postby Avolendi on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:26 pm

I googled error 2031 and apparently that's related to not getting a connection with the server. So maybe look for the program you are using, which ports you need to set or wether no firewall is blocking the one(s) you are using.
Avolendi

Postby Wolfcape on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:09 am

Its strange because even in the browser version I can't get in. Almost as if the server doesn't exist...but I'm no technical expert. Thanks for trying to help. I'm a bit on limited details...Can you help with these ports of which you speak?
Wolfcape

Postby Avolendi on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 pm

First to double-check. You are using the link of the second topic in the DK Lounge () I presume? Because the "Chat" link up top in the forum doesn't work.

For the connection using Mango IRC to set up a connection, if you haven't already, create a new connection (I don't use Mac, so if that's not obvious --> google) and fill in the following:
Server: irc.ipocalypse.net
Channel: #DreamKeepers
Port: 6667 (think that's default)

If these things don't help I can only imagine there would be 2 causes for this. For the IRC client you could first check it's not blocked by a firewall on your computer. If this is unknown terrain as well, google your OS (operating system, like what Windows is) and "firewall". Make sure the IRC client is not blocked. For the browser I'm less sure how that'd get blocked so I'd advise googling your browser name and "blocked irc" or something like that.

Hopefully that'll allow you to fix it, since I don't have much experience with this outside of my general ICT knowledge. A good rule of thumb to remember is you can usually expect other people to have had whatever problem you run into before and they've asked other people about how to fix it. Thus all the google references ^^

Hope this helps and good luck!
Avolendi

Postby Mr Aerospace on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Av, shhh....you have just exposed a major exponent of IT work.
Mr Aerospace

Postby Wolfcape on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:45 pm

Avolendi, thank you so much but I need to ask you to take a look at the 2nd screenshot in the coded box. That is my setup, I see no error.

Can you spot one?
Wolfcape

Postby Avolendi on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:37 am

Hmm. Thought I checked the screenshots, but apparently only the first.

Could you tell me if you tried to do what I mentioned after the irc part in the previous post? Since it's already difficult to help with this via text, if I don't know what you tried and what results you get then I can't work from there.

So try to check if you have a firewall whether it blocks anything and see if you can find anything on your browser and connection problems. The sneaky part is those problems might not even have the same cause.

It would also help to look at the start of this. Can you explain what changed since the last time you managed to connect? Programs installed and other important changes. Since there might be a program that was installed that doesn't appear to be related to the current problem that might have changed some settings. If available on your system you could try to go back to a save-point to restore system settings.

----

Aero, as long as you don't also tell people that's an important part of IT they'll just think it's something you do on your own and they'll forget it in the long run... ^^
Avolendi

Postby Wolfcape on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Avolendi,

Thanks so much for trying to help. I have tried all your previous suggestions and the final answer seems to be clear : I have no clue how to use IRC on a Mac. Google doesn't seem to help me in this, since everyone seems to be fine. Something I'm doing must be wrong. If I find something of significant difference then I'll post it here. Until then, thanks so much for all your help :)
Wolfcape

Postby Koreth on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 pm

I've been on all weekend, so I don't think that the servers are down. In fact, I just logged on to the chat from a remote computer I own, so I am extremely confident that the chat servers are not down.

Looking at that 2nd screenshot, I see the password field is filled out. Remove your password from there and try again. I suspect that that password is not doing what you think it is doing.
Koreth

---------

Return to 'Other' - miscellaneous discussion