Creating Animation Advertisement?

Help Dreamkeepers grow! Share your promotional ideas, or collaborate with other readers.

Creating Animation Advertisement?

Postby Citizen837852 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:03 am

I have been thinking about creating animations about Dreamkeepers for a while and I see this as an opportunity to improve my artistic skills, expressing my interest in Dreamkeepers, and promoting such a great book to other people. Granted, that I will be doing this as a hobby and I'd keep it to myself unless I have the written permission from the author before releasing it. (Well, nothing concrete until it done, you know?)

Do you think I should do a 15 seconds animation pitch like the other one AKA hint on Volume 2?

It can be done with GIMP Animation Package. Also 15 seconds animation pitch is what got me into this book in the first place. :P
Citizen837852

Re: Creating Animation Advertisement?

Postby Zagura on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:56 am

Uhhhh... Go for it? :D

Iunno I guess it'd really fall under the "You can draw dreamkeepers whenever as long as you give credit to the series.
Zagura

Postby Sorrel on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Well, you could certainly keep such a project under wraps until you get David's written permission, but realize that his written permission really isn't that hard to get. He sees fan activity as a kind of free advertisement, in a way, and since advertising gets very expensive very quickly, he really appreciates fan efforts. As long as nobody goes around spoiling everything before new people even read the comics, it's all fair game. If you want to keep your project secret until he gives the okay, then yeah, by all means do so -- you just probably won't be waiting very long XD

That said, fan animations are always fun to look at, and they give you an idea of the kind of process David himself went through in the making of the official commercial. There are a few animators here on the forums who might be able to give you advice if you'd like. Good luck if you decide to go through with this!
Sorrel

Postby Citizen837852 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Sorrel wrote:Well, you could certainly keep such a project under wraps until you get David's written permission, but realize that his written permission really isn't that hard to get. He sees fan activity as a kind of free advertisement, in a way, and since advertising gets very expensive very quickly, he really appreciates fan efforts. As long as nobody goes around spoiling everything before new people even read the comics, it's all fair game. If you want to keep your project secret until he gives the okay, then yeah, by all means do so -- you just probably won't be waiting very long XD

That said, fan animations are always fun to look at, and they give you an idea of the kind of process David himself went through in the making of the official commercial. There are a few animators here on the forums who might be able to give you advice if you'd like. Good luck if you decide to go through with this!

Yep, I have decided to do this. I can see the Volume 2 monster chase being a good point of action, and for some reason... it definitely need Namah in it in her casual passive aggressive mood, probably the waterfall scene would fits.

So hence I decided to go forth making the scenes into the followings:
[EDIT]
1. Transition to Mace
2. Monster Chase
3. Transition to Namah
4. Waterfall Scene
5. DK Commercial Conclusion
All done in some types of music(no dialogue) that I haven't decided on, and I'd probably need help for this since I'm literally deaf.

I'd like to know what you think on those. :)

[EDITTED]
Finished the sketches for Namah's scene. Going to go ahead and work on the chase scenes. :D 240 -> 270 frames of intense actions doesn't seem too bad after all. (8 - 9 seconds of action at 30 fps)

The rest of the vid will use the real DK commercial conclusion for the remainder of 7 seconds.
Citizen837852

Postby Citizen837852 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:19 am

I figured I gotta double-post for the right reason...

I have researched the previous advertisement and I wanted to mimic the same style the last advertisement has. So... I basically use Youtube Fisher program to download the commercial vid from youtube and did a split on all of the frames of the animation with GIMP. I study the original animation as followed:

Original Commercial (450 frames total and run at 30 fps for 15 seconds)

1 - 185 - Mace/Lilith vs Monsters / Run for 185 frames
186 - 215 - Vi and Other Dude / Run for 30 frames
216 - 245 - Bast Power Up / Run for 30 frames
246 - 260 - Tinsel Seduction / Run for 15 frames
261 - 276 - Namah vs Monster - Run for 15 frames
277 - 450 - Conclusion

I'd say this is an awesome way to organize a short and sweet animation if you ask me.

So I officially decided to follow the same as hence forth:

Second Commercial (450 frames total and run at 30 fps for 15 seconds)

1 - 185 - Mace/Whip/Lilith/Namah running from Monster
186 - 215 - Namah at the waterfall
216 - 245 - Soldiers firing
246 - 260 - Lilith being eaten
261 - 276 - Soldiers being exploded (White out transition to conclusion)
277 - 450 - Conclusion

What is done so far?
Namah Sketch
Soldier Firing Sketch

What I will need help on?
Audio (I can't hear.)

Going to brainstorm tomorrow, so I'll sleep tonight. ;)
Night everyone.

(BTW, if you got an opinion/advice/suggestion about the second advertisement, please post it and I'd like to hear it. :D)
Citizen837852

Postby Citizen837852 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:32 am

Another update...

Finished 80 frames...

The shading is pretty difficult to re-invent that is anywhere similar to David's style. And oh my god... Namah scene is... :o
Quite amazing.

So I got more to do on the remaining pieces of the animation, also I still haven't make any agreement or any response from David about the advertisement. Unless I have permission, I don't see myself releasing the advertisement anytime soon. (Sorry!) But it is a great project however. :)

Keeping the animation smooth and in sync is harder than I thought, so that something I'll work on for a while.
Citizen837852

Postby Sorrel on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:59 pm

I have a suggestion for you regarding the David thing. If you're honestly determined to get written permission from him, regardless of the waves of fan-projects already on the internet that exist without his permission but with his blessing, then drop in on the forum's chat on Thursday around 9PM EST. You can ask him yourself in real time.

EDIT: Here, you have his permission! I got a hold of him for you.

[7:09:25 PM] David Lillie: A forum guy wants to make animation for Dreamkeepers? HE HAZ TOTAL PERMISSION!...The thought is very sweet. E ) Yeah, he's totally fine if he wants to make some stuff, and if he then uses it to promote our site, awesome! 8 D

Feel free to pop in the chat to confirm this with him personally, of course, but seriously, that's a direct quote of his response. Expect a similar reaction.
Sorrel

Postby Citizen837852 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Sorrel wrote:I have a suggestion for you regarding the David thing. If you're honestly determined to get written permission from him, regardless of the waves of fan-projects already on the internet that exist without his permission but with his blessing, then drop in on the forum's chat on Thursday around 9PM EST. You can ask him yourself in real time.

EDIT: Here, you have his permission! I got a hold of him for you.

[7:09:25 PM] David Lillie: A forum guy wants to make animation for Dreamkeepers? HE HAZ TOTAL PERMISSION!...The thought is very sweet. E ) Yeah, he's totally fine if he wants to make some stuff, and if he then uses it to promote our site, awesome! 8 D

Feel free to pop in the chat to confirm this with him personally, of course, but seriously, that's a direct quote of his response. Expect a similar reaction.

:D YES!
You have my many thanks! Now I'll unleash everything I have into this animation and to show the world what Dreamkeepers is all about. ;)
Citizen837852

Postby Hakuzo NightFox on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:42 am

heh, yeah David is pretty cool when it comes to these things. Don't be afraid to post links and screencaps here on the forum under creative section ;).
Hakuzo NightFox

Re: Creating Animation Animation

Postby Citizen837852 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:07 am

Let not call it an advertisement anymore, because it better that way.

I will release a short sequence on Christmas Eve. (Digital painting of Namah and scenes on the 25th. Digital Painting = Namah in Realism Version, not a Cartoon.)
I will release a full animation on January (5th I hope?) on youtube in 720p.
(A initial template of Namah is shown in my avatar. :P)

I'm surviving on tight budget. :| Animation is going well so far. :D

Dreamkeepers is an inspiration and a relief for me, so making an animation for them is the least I can do. :) So stay tuned for it!
Citizen837852

---------

Next

Return to DK Volunteer Army