Bobby

Have a favorite character in the series? Any that remind you of a real person you know? Talk about the ones you like, the ones you hate, and see what others think.

Bobby

Postby Baron von Awesomehat on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Yeah, I know, he's a pretty minor character, even by Prelude standards, but to me we know a little more about him than other characters of similar importance (his power, for instance), and I find him interesting, as shown in the following account:

I've got to say, I was a little unnerved when I first saw Bobby. The first reason being, it was strange when he was introduced and everyone acted like we'd always known him. It was like coming home from school to find a walrus at the family dinner table, except you're the only one who notices. Granted, that was sort of the case with Vi, but that was handled much more smoothly, with Vi and Mace & Whip acting in ways that revealed past histories and character dynamics. With Bobby, things felt slightly more awkward and forced. Not that I'm saying that he's a cardboard cut-out or anything, I just think he could use a little more personality.

The second reason is his name, Bobby. I immediately felt confused when a character with such a human name appeared. Again, this is similar to Vi, also a human name, but it's not very common and still manages to feel exotic. I mean, compare it to other character names; Mace and Whip, after two medeival weapons; Lilith, after a demonic succubus and first wife of Adam, later replaced by Eve; I could go on, but what I'm trying to say is that at once the name strikes the reader as being boring and unoriginal by comparison. My current theory is that while he was creating characters, David Lillie accidently gave Bobby his human's name, and somewhere in our world there's a guy named Nosforatu or something.

Leading off from this, I think Liz might attempted to balance out Bobby's 'humaness' by making him look absolutely ridiculous. Of course, all the characters are talking animals, but this guy is some sort of bright yellow cat-thing with lot's of purple spots and a leather jacket.
Baron von Awesomehat

Re: Bobby

Postby tech128 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:50 pm

Dude... let David do his thing. and please don't rant about bill or wally
tech128

Postby Sparks on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:37 am

Awwww, he's allowed to! And you bring up some really good points.

Clearly 'Bobby' is short for Bobbopulous! :D
Sparks

Postby Nerves on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:07 am

If you notice, when Scinter, Grunn and Igrath are discussing where the telepad jumped, they mention Bobby.
Nerves

Postby Twilight on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:12 pm

yeah.. they do... I wants to see him all nicely drawn and not prelude looking 8D (don't get me wrong I love the prelude art, but the characters are really drawn differently there than in the books)
Twilight

Postby Adolf_Fockes on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:00 pm

True 'dat Twi! And I think that maybe Bobby was found out for using his power and maybe banished, or else he coulda had a run in with a nightmare, either one could explain how he's in there with Scinter and Igrath.
Adolf_Fockes

Postby WhiteinBlack on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:55 pm

I've figured it out! I know where Bobby is all the time! HAHAHAHA
WhiteinBlack

Postby Devious_Psychopath on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:18 pm

...and will you be sharing this info with the rest of us?
Devious_Psychopath

Postby WhiteinBlack on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:06 pm

Well, after talking to Dave about the idea of Doctor Who visiting and somehow appearing in Auduruna (possibly in the form of his own Dreamkeeper or just as himself) I thought of the idea that Bobby has been assisting the Doctor in this new world! He's been playing as a temporary assistant in his spare time. PLUS, since he's the awesome Doctor, homework must comeby very easy; making more time for Bobby to spend!

I know it seems illogical, but I like to imagine.

Edit: I just thought maybe the Doctor brings his own assistant to Dreamworld. Possibly Amy and Rory (assuming its the 11th Doctor). They would probably be in their Dreamkeeper Forms, but not the Doctor. After all, he's not human. Bobby could be more of a very helpful tour guide...of sorts.

Or it could be after his (SPOILERS) and when he is travelling solo and incognito from the universe.
WhiteinBlack

---------

Return to DK Characters