Ancients' Awakening

A sparkling fantasy world is here. Rev up your imagination, and get ready to be a part of the story!

Ancients' Awakening

Postby MandyHabato on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:04 pm

The noonday sun shined down on the bustling docks of the district of Anduruna called Margate. Sailors, fishermen, and riff-raff alike mingled here, bartering for merchandise, haggling for a job. Travelers from other districts’ docks disembarked from their ships, stopping at taverns and restaurants perhaps, before pushing deeper into the city. But one restaurant was seemingly quieter than the others. In fact, if one didn’t even notice the sign on the door, the battered walls and worn paint coupled with the air of unkemptness would tell them it was closed. Many thought the Water-Neko was out of business.

Others knew this was just to keep things private.

Inside, at first glance, the unkempt feel continued. That is, until one opened the door in the back. Then it was just stuffy. A small room hid behind those closed doors, holding only four wooden chairs. Three chairs facing the back wall, one hiding it’s occupant in the shadows cast by the dim bare handing bulb. As the door to this private room closed after admitting the last person for that time, the ‘keeper in the shadows finally revealed herself and stood.

Certain attributes stuck out nicely. The graceful, deadly air that she carried, as well as the hand-and-a-half sword casually at her hip. The quick, distrustful amber eyes that flickered between everyone present. And the glistening maroon fur that covered the large majority of the ermine couldn’t be forgotten. Her black tail and ear tips were the only things marring the solid color besides the white spikes coming from her eyes and around her finger tips. Overall, she was the epitome of a rose: pretty, but sharp.

Finally, she spoke, laying down three small bags. “As I know you shall ask,” she started with a bit of tiredness. “This is the money we promised for just coming here. It is more than it looks.”

She continued without much pause. “I suggest you wait for my proposal, though. There is much more than this if you accept,” A glance a them all, reluctance in her voice. “I come from somewhere few in Anduruna know of. A small land actually across the sea. Smaller than Anduruna, but enough for my ancestors to call home when it was found. You see, one of those ships that ‘disappeared’ searching for more land across the ocean actually found my homeland. They didn’t spread word because, as far as they knew, it was safe. No greedy politicians, no government rules, no bad influences. Just enough for a small kingdom, unknown to the rest of the world, to flourish.”

She paused, again, searching their eyes for something before quickly continuing. “Now, what this has to do with you is that we have…grown weak. We do not even reach a thousand citizens anymore, after an incident. Our royalty secretly came back to this country once long ago and couldn't return, all crew knowing the route suffering some sort of fate leaving them stuck here or worse. So, that left our royal bloodline stuck to live and be passed down in Anduruna, and the population of our kingdom to sadly dwindle because of events I‘ll explain later. Recently, the last heir that actually bears the similar royal mark of power came back, naturally drawn there by history, blood, and what some of us call the island’s magic. But what we didn’t know is that evil found our island long before they did. That is what caused us to weaken, and for them to gain so much power. Attacking us in secret, slowly becoming more bold and deadly. I am ashamed, as one of the kingdom’s guards, to say that she was taken by them shortly after she arrived. They told us she was just barely alive-” She stopped to put a hand to her mouth and set her determined, if not anguished, eyes on her feet. “b-but alive. One of our nobles, whom I wish no more than to run through with my sword, sided with them, and bargained that if he was given the kingdom, the treasures, and the evil beings given sacrifices for the rest of the life of the kingdom, that they would let her go and stop attacking us. If not, he said they would-” She swallowed before whispering. “They would send her back in pieces.”

She sighed, scowling as she shook her emotion away. “Naturally, we wouldn’t agree. So instead, we came with this idea. Her majesty had already been planning on sending letters to you to ask to help with the beasts, so I simply adjusted them a little. At home, they are stalling for time for me to bring a small group to infiltrate them, rescue the princess, and possibly even kill the traitor if we can. It is dangerous, and I can’t say I know how large the obvious risk of death is, but we need help, as much as I hate to say it.”

“So, that is the situation. It takes much time so sail to the kingdom, and I hope that if you do not agree to come, you will at least take the money as a…for lack of a better word, a bribe. To keep all mention of our existence away from your government. However, if you do accept, much more money, not to mention an alliance and knighthood in the kingdom, will be given to you when we succeed. We will be sailing the day after tomorrow, with or without any of you. But I need your word, and any questions you have about what I've told you, now.”

“Oh, and no need to introduce yourself right now. If you accept, there will be plenty of time for that on the way there. If not, why need to know each other?”
Last edited by MandyHabato on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MandyHabato

Re: Anchients' Awakening

Postby boomboy on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Ah, the water-neko restaurant and café. A once bustling palace on the docks. He could remember coming here as a kid with his folks, he loved it here. Not because of the food, but primarily for the activities that took place. Stuff like surfing lessons, parties, playing on the jungle gyms and the like. It raked in the cash as if it were leaves in autumn. Then, one fine Saturday afternoon, those stupid ’safety troopers’ stormed the place, arrested the owner and shut the place down. A shame really. So many good memories were formed and lost here. Its fading paint and rotten wood was certainly a sight for sore eyes. The floorboards creaked and groaned under his weight. Each cautious step he took felt like he would fall through to the surging sea below.

Looking at his letter he mysteriously received the night before, he rechecked the address to verify that he was at the right place, as well as at the right time. However, he could not shake this weird feeling, as if something big was about to happen, as if he was going to war again. With a quick shake of his body, the feeling dissipated and he continued towards the back door. The old, rickety door hinges groaned in protest as the door swung open, everything inside was either broken or covered in junk. However, the four chairs stood out almost instantly. They were in rather good condition compared to everything else.

However, he did not like the situation at hand, four chairs and a dimly lit light bulb. He smelt a trap, his right fist clenched into a tight ball as the figure stood from the shadows; however, he instantly relaxed when he saw her. There was no way in hell she would be a massive threat to him. After all, her sword remained in its sheath and her hands hung limply to the side. A sure sign that nothing critical was to happen.

He stroked his chin curiously while she spoke, taking in the important points of her speech. In summary, a bad guy who controls an entire division of troops kidnaps a girl and wants money and blood in return. Despicable, criminals are so unimaginative these days.
He bit his lower lip while he thought about the pros and cons of the situation. The good side would be that he would get a good amount of money and be able to assist those in need again. The bad side would probably be that they would be heavily outnumbered and possibly out gunned. As well as this, he could not control his power at will, so he would have to rely on his weapons and skills to survive.
“Well then, it’s settled. I will accompany you with this mission. By the way, name’s Church, Captain Church to be exact. Was a soldier for the Viscount‘s special forces squad for a long time.” Picking up the bag closest to him, he shook it a little, the coins inside jingling against one another, “As for questions, I need to know what kind of defences, weapons, availability to reinforcements they have, and how long you intend this mission to last.”
boomboy

Re: Ancients' Awakening

Postby MandyHabato on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:57 pm

The ermine directed her attention to Captain Church. He seemed to have missed the part where she said intros wouldn't be needed at the time. Oh well, the others would probably follow suit. And she couldn't help but lighten the obviously dark mood, in hopes the others would more readily agree.

"Well, Captain Church, you seem to like ignoring 'suggestions'," She gave him a smirk but didn't let him respond. "but, when I don't like them, so do I. As defenses go, we have held ourselves in the castle and the small area around it surrounded by a thick stone wall. We are confident of our ability to repel the small attacks as of now, but we fear that such bold requests warrant us to think they have a much larger force than we've seen, but it would only come to that if this mission fails.

"In weapons, we are well stocked with a useful assortment. Nothing like the variety or outright power someone could find in some specialty shops here, but enough to give us a fighting chance. Coupled with that, we have a small army of soldiers and-" She paused, considering her words. "And a couple groups of...varied specialties. As well as that, the right hand of the princess' will be accompanying us, and he is a very skilled warrior. Stubborn fur-ball refused to stay home." She muttered the last part to herself.

"As for reinforcement, this will be an undercover mission for as long as we can keep it as such. The farther we move into their territory, the less help we will get from the kingdom, even if we are already found out by then. Actually even more so if we are found out, as they would be able to try and sabotage any help before it reaches us. It would be dangerous and difficult to send anyone in quick enough to catch up to us without harm the farther we go, so we'll have to try and rely on our own skill as much as possible."

"Timetables, now that's a different story." She paused, hands on her hips as she looked at the ground. "I can't be for certain. As I said before, it takes time to sail there, and there are dangers on the water that could push us back. When we get there, the royal advisers, who are running everything for now, want us to leave as quickly as possible, but don't want us to be unready. So a day or two preparing, maybe more if difficulties prevail. Then, the actual mission. Now that I can't even start to guess. We have knowledge of where they are most likely holding her, but no idea on how well guarded. The lay of the land is unfamiliar to everyone but the warrior coming with us, since it was old, unused territory before they claimed it. Also, we won't be able to use the shortest, direct route to get there if we want to try and do this quietly. I'm sorry, but that last part can't be filed away to a certain number of days or weeks."

She frowned, hating the idea herself, but looked at the other two people there. She glanced at the bulb, annoyed herself about the horrible, creepy lighting. Suited her inner mood,though, giving all these details to foreigners. But, if the princess trusts them, she has good reason. Might as well grin and bear it.

"Anything else?"
MandyHabato

Postby SilverPredatorWolf on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Arcanas was listening to everything while his Ryuu neko Elena rest on his head fast asleep.

"What sort of forces are we looking at? Anything on their tactics and the positions of their outpost? What of their armaments?"
SilverPredatorWolf

Postby MandyHabato on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:17 am

The girl frowned and played with the handle of her sword nervously for a second before realizing this could be threatening. "Well, I can't say I wasn't hoping something would ask more about what we're facing. The traitor has a small, elite force with him, but the main force...We've found out he's..." She paused, looking each of them in the eye before continuing.

"He's in league with Nightmares."

She growled, making fists. "The double-crossing, heartless, no good-" She stopped and closed her eyes a minute then continued through clenched teeth. "Traitor. He's sided with them trying to use their own blood-lust to get what he wants. He doesn't see that once he gets what he wants, or even if he can't, they'll betray him and kill everyone and come here. They could have, and would have, tried to kidnap any important figure in the kingdom to try this plot, and it would have worked. But that was before they heard about the princess finally coming back.The only other reason they took the princess, besides knowing everyone would put her safety first, was because those demons know that she's the only one that can control the ancients' magic.' It's old, and powerful, and it kept the kingdom safe from this sort of thing before the royal bloodline wasn't there to control it."

The girl sighed. "Ironically, they took her just a few days before we had planned to teach her to use the power. Those lessons, coupled with hearing she was going to contact help and a friend form this country, was apparently the green flag to start their plan."

"I think that tells you of their weapons, except for the small elite force with them, but they're lightly armed with swords. If my info is correct, they only have one single use pistol each, but can use their powers very well. But they are only a dozen or so, because of so few wanting to side with demons. But those few, and especially the traitor, are still dangerous."

Then she remembered the first question. "As for their position, they have situated themselves very pompously, not to mention disgracefully, in the ruins of the temple of the original founders of the kingdom. It is near the top of the mountain range that circles the far half of the island. It is relatively difficult to get to in that regard if you do not use the small path, but once you get to the actual plateau it's on, the temple is not exceedingly well build for defense, although it is a near maze of overgrown paths few have been in in years.

"Their tactics seem to be to constantly barrage us with short, quick attacks, not showing the most of their forces. They seem to want to keep us at the very last dregs of strength, but not crush us. He wants a kingdom to rule when this is all said and done. And most of this I think is just the traitor barely keeping leash on those...things. He's warned us that we have limited time before the leader of the demons becomes impatient, kills her, and starts a full out attack on the castle. An attack which he doesn't want to happen, and nor do we."
MandyHabato

Postby boomboy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:26 am

The wolf stroked his fuzz on his chin in curiosity as they continued to listen to her dreadful story. Unknowingly, he squinted his eyes and leant in a little as she tried to summon the necessary words, though when she was able to finally spit it out his fist clenched into a tight ball and the veins and tendons in his neck tensed and swelled to double their size, “What?” He said, absolutely infuriated by the change of events. Last time his squad dealt with a nightmare, their entire base was destroyed, leaving hundreds wounded or dead. Ever since that fateful day, he has hated nightmares with a passion unbeknown to any other person. Even worse was when the government did not acknowledge the fact that it even happened. Instead, they swept it under the carpet and pretended that it never happened. Grotesque if you ask me.

His rage could only swell uncontrollably inside of him as the briefing continued, whipping his small, compact info scroll, he dotted down all the important points mentioned. No way in hell was he to go forth blind folded. If they were to succeed in this, they needed every detail written. As well as this, they needed heavy weaponry. Luck for them, they had a Special Forces soldier in their presence that had access to the required artillery needed to take these *******s down for the last time.
“Okay, so far we’ve got a simple terror tactic going on here. They are allowing the weaker units to sap you of your strength, ensuring that you have no possible hope of attack. However, you now have a sniper on your side. I will recon the area a little and disrupt their chain of command. Now, are there any important buildings that they have? You know, something that means a lot to them. If we can damage or destroy it, we can lower their morale enough to send a full attack.”

His jaw clenched a little when she spoke of a temple a top of a mountain, this would make his job a little tougher. However, it also meant he could set up hidden, lethal traps. The more traps set, the higher the chances the patrol teams wouldn’t want to go out, for fear of their lives.
“You need not to worry ma’am. We will ensure that it does not come to a full out siege. Now, what kind of defences do you sport? We might need to modify them a little.”
Last edited by boomboy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
boomboy

Postby SilverPredatorWolf on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:28 am

"Well.. now we know what we are up against. But before we do anything, we will need the layout of the land. Can't do anything if you don't know what kind of terrain your fighting on. Including the weather and the local wild life in the area. Cause what I have in mind, we are going to have to spend about 90% of the time in the field and the last thing we want is to get lost and our equipment not working right cause of the environment." said Arcanas.
SilverPredatorWolf

Postby MandyHabato on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:33 pm

The girl nodded, smirking. At least they didn't seem put off by the fact they were facing those demons. Maybe there was reason to trust them after all...

She mentally shook herself out of it, searching for something in the back of the room. "Ah, yes, I suppose a map would help." She scowled at the insufficient light again before finding the info scroll leaning against the back wall. She hung it on a holder on the back wall, and turned it on muttering something about 'foreign technology'.

The info scroll lit up, showing a top down view of a large island. It was shaped somewhat like a rough oval, a peninsula on the south west area distorting that shape. A large river almost split the island from NE to SW, coming from the mountains that surrounded the majority of the border of the island, save a few coves and the area where the peninsula stuck out and the river entered the ocean.

"Now, this is a map of the island. The main castle is down here," She pointed to an area just before the tip of the peninsula. "And we've secured the area up until this mountain range starts. In the valley in the middle of the island, most of the terrain is gently sloping, but absolutely covered in untouched forest and undergrowth. The mountains become very steep very fast as you near them, and the temple is on one of the tallest mountains, near here." She pointed to a spot on the range near the north west corner of the island. " A major problem is the mouth of the river. You can't tell very well from this map, but the river sinks down into a ravine starting mid-way through the island to the point the ravine is insanely deep by the ocean. We'll have to travel inland to a point where we could cross, since the river is quite wide and extremely difficult to cross near the coast. Then, we'll have to trek through the forest, preferably hugging the mountains, since the trees thin by them, and make our way to the mountain the temple rests on. Then climb up, and I think you can figure it out generally from there."

She paused, studying the map. " A better, more detailed map is on the boat to study on the way there.Then the climate... The climate isn't horribly ***bersome. On the peninsula, it's relatively tropical and at the the preferred time we get there there will be slim chance of any kind of storms, so it will be calm, warm weather over-all; that actually spreads to the majority of the island. Until we get near the top of the mountains, we'll have to worry more about overheating and water loss through sweat than anything else, climate-wise. At the actual temple, it should be a little cool, unless they've done something to it. That's about it for climate and terrain.

"Now...wildlife." She stopped to smile like there was a huge surprise just for them. "Mostly, it's not harmful. Because of our close proximity, the majority of the wild life will be used to people. Just don't openly threaten them, and I'm sure you'll be quite surprised how much they not only leave us be, but they might actually provide assistance." She paused to smile warmly and give a pointed glance at the sleeping 'neko on Arcanas' head." Is there anything else?" She asked, glancing at Kal, since he had yet to speak.
MandyHabato

Postby boomboy on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:35 pm

(I'm working off of my phone for this one. Sorry about the crappy reply.)

Well, this was indeed going to be a most interesting mission indeed. Tropical climates, mountainous terrain and a small squad of decently trained men and women. If they were to survive the coming battle, they'd need all the help they could get. In the back of his mind, he wondered whether he should act as sniper or point man. Both had their pros and cons and both were just as valuable as each other. Perhaps he could be both? It was a tall order, though it could be done.
Taking a few brief glances of the map, he quickly dotted down the basic outline and important land marks for future refrence.

''I'm not too sure about the rest of the squad, but I have no further queries. I just know that my rifles and armour are ready for action. Been a while since I've used the darling's.'' said the camouflaged wolf with a smirk.
boomboy

Postby SilverPredatorWolf on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 am

"Alright. What time would you want us to meet you on the ship?

Asked Arcanas. At the same time, Elena woke up and yawns as she looks around. When she saw the person, she tilts her head to he left.

"Nya?"
SilverPredatorWolf

---------

Next

Return to IC - DreamWorld Adventures...